HomeAboutContact'

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Digital Citzenship Using Online Images

I love having students create things.  Now that our students have easy access to mobile devices they are able to create more and more digital products.  In creating these digital products, students often seek images from the Internet. One thing we want to do is promote digital citizenship and teach students about copyright, where and how they can seek images and clip art appropriate for use in projects.  A few of my favorite sites that are educationally friendly and have easy terms of use for students are listed below... 






Another way students may use Google for images is by changing the usage rights (shown below)


A few other resources for teaching copyright are:

Teaching Copyright- Website full of lesson plans on ideas for teaching about copyright in school.  Appropriate for middle school through high school.  

This chart on Copyright and Fair Use for teachers  is also a great resource to guide our own actions.  


What are some of your favorite resources for students using images?

3 comments:

  1. Teaching copyrighting for images and other things online is very important and something I know I don't put too much thought into. I usually have students that default to Google images. I have had students use ClipArt.com which has water marks on most of its images unless you pay a fee. Its been awhile since I have used it so I'm not sure what has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karla,

    What an important post! I'm going to show my students how to use the Google Image Usage Rights tab. I only teach 4th Grade and just this last week I showed my class how to use EasyBib now that it is embedded within Google Docs. It's so easy, there is no reason why our kids shouldn't be researching correctly. Think if we could accurately cite and copyright things when we were 10! Once again the power of technology has amazed me.

    We have routine discussions in my room about creating a positive digital footprint and this lesson will fit very nicely into that. Thanks for the insight!

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Not only is it teaching Digital Citizenship and copyrighting, but sort of a digital plagiarism type of concept as well! I also think that it's great to show them how to find appropriate images and ways that they can narrow down and find what they are looking for. Thank you so much for the resources!

    ReplyDelete