HomeAboutContact'

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Noise Monitoring Apps

Hi Everyone!  I wanted to share one of my saving graces this time of year... a noise-monitoring app for iPads and iPhones.   


With my entire class, I like to use My Class Rules.  I access it using my personal/teacher iPad and project it onto the interactive white board, while the class is working.  It helps them to self-monitor themselves and each other, which allows me to work with individual or groups of students as needed.  


This is what the students see on the I.W.B. as they are working. The quieter they work, the more points we receive.  When we accumulate a goal number of points we get a class reward of their choice (usually voted on).  


Another FREE app I like to use on the student iPads is  Too Noisy Lite.  I prefer this app on student iPads because it is free and helps students to guide student noise level when they are working in cooperative groups.  


How have you used these apps or other noise monitoring apps with your class?  
  

4 comments:

  1. I have seen all sorts of these voice level apps in action, but I don't think I have seen My Class Rules. That's pretty awesome that it turns it into a point challenge. Normally you'll just see a standard red/yellow/green meter that allows kids to see how loud they are. My Class rules appears to give students the added incentive of school or global (!) competition. Great share.

    When you do the other one with groups, do you ever have kids that simply enjoying yelling into the mic to see how loud they can make it? I know when I've seen other teachers use this, there's always THAT ONE kid that wants to ruin it for everyone else. I've heard some teachers say they put the mic as far away from THAT KID as much as possible so that it doesn't get too crazy.

    I've never really thought about using a noise app for my class, but I feel like if I did, I would use My Class Rules. Leaderboards get me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, this would work in some of the high school classes in my school! Earlier this year, one of the teachers was looking for something to help students see how loud they are. Ironically, groups of students seem to be oblivious to the noise they make but sensitive to others. In addition, I think the leaderboard would add a competitive element to being quiet. Teens may act like they don't care but they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the noise monitoring apps, they are great! I used the Stop Light monitoring in my classroom that gave the students a visual (GREEN YELLOW RED). I love the integration with the iPad. This allows the student to become independent with their own conduct during collaborative and independent time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are these apps! Thank you for the resource! I have seen/used too noisy lite on my iPhone for my 2nd grade classroom and their noise level, but I love your idea of using it when they work in small groups with an iPad! I think that is absolutely a great idea! I also like the idea of the kids getting to pick a fun prize of some sort when they reach certain points!

    ReplyDelete