One of my favorite recent discoveries for the classroom has been Kahoot! My students just love it (and so do I!) Kahoot! is a student response system, accessible on any device with internet.
Teachers may utilize pre-created quizzes or create their own quizzes. Once the quiz has been decided upon the teacher can launch the quiz and will be provided with a pin number to share with students.
On the student end, students may use any device that is connected to the Internet. The will go to kahoot.it and enter a pin number that is provided by the teacher.
The teacher will share the quiz on a projector screen with the class, the students will enter their answer on their device. Teachers are able to review and go over answers with students before moving onto the next screen/question. Students accumulate points/score based on how quickly they answer a question and the accuracy. At the end the teacher may download a class report.
This is a great tool for use as an exit ticket, quiz/test review, etc.
This 3 minute YouTube video (above) provides a great visual explanation and examples for those of you interested in learning more.











Oh my Karla! This is AMAZING! Not that I'm guilty of this, but it's like Buzztime Trivia at Buffalo Wild Wings meets academics in the classroom! ;-)
ReplyDeleteI have a set of Mimio Votes in my classroom. I'm pretty sure they cost almost $2K and only work with the Mimio system. Kahoot is visually appealing, looks like its super easy to use, and I love how it gives you points on your quickness. The Mimio system doesn't do that. Some of my kids purposely don't answer questions because they are milking the clock. If there are points at stake, I can whip through an exit slip in no time flat!
Thanks for the great suggestion. I'll be putting this to work immediately.
Karla,
ReplyDeleteThis looks like a lot of fun for the kids. My students are very competitive, so I could see this as both fun and motivating for them. Personally I rather enjoy creating my own quizzes or making parallel problems to what they see in the regular curriculum. I've actually been looking for a way to make sure all of my algebra students are staying on track because they can easily get swept away in the drama and excitement of 8th grade. I feel this would engage them and call them out when they are slacking at the same time.
Already signed up for my account. I'll be checking out how best to use Kahoot.it in my computer lab.
Thanks.
Glenn
What an excellent tool! Interactive, Tech-based, Competitive, and Analytic... I'm definitely going to sign up and play around developing review games for unit exams. Thanks for introducing this to me!
ReplyDelete